Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Visible or Invisible?


I am reminded of two opposing
photos that captured my attention a few months ago. Both were color photographs of sea life in
the depths of the ocean where only experts dare venture. One was of a very bright orange fish with
bold bulging eyes amidst some colorful plant life. The other one appeared to be merely a shot of
the variegated yet somewhat monotoned seaweed.
Upon instruction to look more closely, I discovered the form of a sea
horse in amongst the plants. How
incredible for it to be so well disguised, yet very much alive and distinctly
present. Almost immediately, even though
in the presence of others, I felt the overwhelming urge to cry. Two thoughts sparked intense feelings connected with the hidden person
of my soul. First of all, I realized
that if God took the time and effort to create such an exotic specimen as the
orange fish, which may never again be seen by another human eye or even survive the
next day, just because He could, and just because He knows it is there and
brings Him glory by its very existence, how much more significance and purpose
do I have? I am humbled by the
thought. God is glorified best when we
are who we are and not because of anything else.
And I am who I am because of whom He made me to be and all He makes is
good. Secondly, the comparison can be
seen in my issue of “innies” (introverts) and “outies” (extroverts).
When I view the two photos side by side, how can I possibly determine
which creature has more value? Yes, one
is immediately more eye-catching, but does that mean it is more valuable or
even more likeable?

No comments:

Post a Comment